25 November 2012

Confessions of a Pinner: This is not my Dog


Confessions of a Pinner

Photo Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/indi/
This is not my dog 
I have yet to enter a room with coffee, snacks and pamphlets that provide support for the addiction that is called Pinterest. I am however able to recall recent behavior that can be categorized as addictive.

I search. I am intrigued. I create.  I repeat.

The above is the sequence that I follow on my pinning binges. I get an idea in my head and I think, “What does Pinterest have to say about this?”

I search through the boards of fellow pinners until I find what I am looking for.
There is no limit to my range of interest.  I search for pictures to assist with the attempts to increase my swag, either with unnecessary scarves, or to design with a hot glue gun. I re-create my finds and repin them on one of many boards.

Recently, I came upon this post from DDK Portraits. This post from a fellow pinner, details some surprising specifics regarding the use of Intellectual Property on my favorite site.

Some people believe that Pinterest is violating copyright law by allowing the post of intellectual Property without license.

Is Pinterest the next Napster?

In my opinion,  probably not. I use Pinterest to see what other people’s views are, and to connect with those possessing similar interest as myself. When I see a pin with a model posing, I can also see that she is wearing a Dolce & Gabbana Blouse. Since the runway is clearly not my cousin’s, who is the pinner’s, back yard. Additionally the trail of pins is evident is you scroll down on the board giving credit to the originator.

I am more likely to go to the Dolce & Gabbana site to window shop than to think that my cousin, the pinner, has turned into a professional photographer.

I love the exposure Pinterest provides to users as a great marketing tool. I am interested to see where this goes.   

According to the Intellectual Property Brief, Pinterest is protected under the Safe Harbor Provision which under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, protects websites from litigation due to the behavior of its users.

This protects Pinterest but not me as a user.  DDK Portraits deleted her boards. I may do the same. Knowing that I may be breaking the law by sharing a beautiful blouse with my followers, makes me not want to pin anything.



Eat or Learn

While we are on the subject of using other people’s intellectual property improperly, I read this article regarding a student trying to make a few dollars, which turned into a fortune that cost him greatly.

A student from Thailand bought college textbooks from his homeland and sold them on eBay.

Yippie for cheap books, right?

The courts say this young man has to pay the publisher $600,000 because of specific laws limiting the sell of such copyright protected Intellectual Property from being purchased in one country and resold in another.

I am also interested to see what happens since this case has been appealed and will be heard by the Supreme Court.  The question is, if I by a book in Bangkok and sell it in Brooklyn, should I have to pay the publisher for the sell of the book?

I don’t think that I should. I believe in the term loophole, it sounds to me that my friend has found one and the publisher would love to have the additional revenue from the college students that will purchase only books and Ramen Noodles to survive.

Protect your goods people!!!! 

No comments: